Friday, March 5, 2010

Live the Dream or Become a Pickle

"The best part of college is that you could become whatever you wanted to become, but most people just do what they think they must. - Seth Godin, Social Networking Guru

Introspection is a good thing. On a regular basis I ask myself, "Is this really what I want to be doing with my life or is this what I'm settling for?"

I see so many people taking the safe job instead of living out their dreams. I can think of two Christian friends working in an industry where Christians should not be but hey, it's safe; there's good health insurance, and no chance of getting laid-off.

Obviously the bills must get paid but when we squash ourselves into a barrel like pickles, doing distasteful things in mind-numbing places, something inside us dies.

I'd rather die broke, living out my dreams and striving for greatness and wealth in a place that requires creativity, risk and brains than settle for the medium income in a place that turns me into a pickle.

2 comments:

  1. Kel, good post. Godin's observation doesn't stop with college. I find myself gravitating to what `I must' ... losing the wind in my sails, and just drifting ... (slow numbing death). Your blog is inspiring - let's go for it - as we preached to one another long ago!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kelly !
    Our human nature is to be the pickle, it takes strong faith to live a life of excellence.

    ReplyDelete